Placements are triggered events within your game that display monetization content. In this guide, you’ll learn how to configure, implement, and personalize Placements.
Personalized Placements combine your ads and in-app purchasing revenue systems by making automated decisions about which to serve based on our machine learning algorithm’s highest predictive player LTV. Optimizing for long-term impact keeps your players happier, more engaged, and playing the game for longer.
Manage Placements from the Unity Developer Dashboard:
- From the Operate tab of the Developer Dashboard, select your Project.
- Select Monetization from the left navigation bar to view a list of your Project's monetization options.
- Select Placements to manage and create ad Placements.
Creating new Placements
To create a new Placement, click ADD PLACEMENT to open the Add new placement configuration window.
The Placement name you specify auto-generates a Placement ID, which you call in your code implementation. Note that you can change Placement name later, but once you create the Placement, you cannot change the corresponding Placement ID.
When creating a new Placement, you must define its type:
- Select Non-rewarded to show basic interstitial ads or promotional content. Non-rewarded Placements allow players to skip the ad after a specified period of time.
- Select Rewarded to allow players to opt-in to viewing ads in exchange for incentives. Rewarded Placements do not allow the player to skip the ad.
- Select Banner to create a dedicated Banner ad Placement.
Note: Each Unity Ads-enabled Project includes two default Placements for your convenience:
video’ is a non-rewarded Placement that serves Video and Playable content types, and allows users to skip the ad after 5 seconds.
rewardedVideo’ is a rewarded Placement that serves Video and Playable content types, and does not allow skipping.
Our best practices guide provides examples of effective implementation of ad placements.
Click CREATE NEW PLACEMENT to configure the Placement’s settings.
You can edit Placement settings at any time by selecting the desired Placement from the Placements menu on the dashboard.
The available settings are defined below.
1. Platform-specific settings
To configure settings specific to each platform (iOS and Android), click the Options icon in the upper-right corner of the General Settings menu, then click USE PLATFORM SETTINGS.
Once you enable platform-specific settings, you must configure separate settings for each platform.
2. Placement ID
Placement ID is a unique identifier to reference in your code implementation. Once you create the Placement, you cannot change its corresponding ID.
By default, a new Placement's status is Live. Click the Edit icon, then uncheck Enable placement and click SAVE to change its status to Disabled. Disabled Placements will not show ads or IAP Promos.
4. Placement Name
Click the Edit icon to change the Placement name. Changing this setting does not impact the Placement ID.
5. Ad Types
Select as many content types as you wish for a given Placement. By default, a new Placement's ad types are Video and Playable. Click the Edit icon to check each ad type you wish to include.
- Video ads are full screen video advertisements.
- Display ads are full screen static images.
- Playable ads are full screen interactive advertisements.
- IAP Promos promote offers from you in-game store (required for Personalized Placements).
Note: AR ad content is not currently supported through the Developer Dashboard. If you'd like to serve AR ads, click here!
For more information, see documentation on content types.
By default, ads for a new Placement are not muted. If you want ads in this Placement to default to muted audio, click the Edit icon, then check Mute audio .
7. Allow skip
Click the Edit icon to specify the number of seconds after which users can skip ads in this Placement.
Tip: To run rewarded ads in your Placement, set this option to No so that the video is not skippable.
Implementing Placements in-game
Implementing Placements in your game is a 3-step process:
- Initialize the Unity Ads SDK early in the game’s run-time lifecycle, preferably at launch. Unity recommends using the latest SDK (3.0+).
- In your code, check if Placement content is ready to display through your specified Placement.
- Retrieve the available content and display it.
For comprehensive code integration instructions, read the documentation for your development platform:
Personalized Placements optimize player experiences and lifetime value on an individual basis. Each player receives the most meaningful engagements to maximize player retention and revenue. Add high value in-game IAP promotions into your rewarded or non-rewarded Placement to supercharge your monetization performance. Unity’s machine learning algorithms show either your IAP offer or a video advertisement based on the highest predicted player LTV.
Watch an example video that showcases rewarded Personalised Placements.
To set up a new Personalized Placement or convert an existing video ad Placement, follow these basic steps:
- Integrate Unity Ads (covered above)
- Integrate IAP Promo
- Convert an existing Placement or create a new one
- Contact Unity to enable the Personalized Placement
Setting up IAP Promo
Integrating the SDK
- If you are a Unity developer using a custom IAP solution, click here
- If you are a native iOS developers, click here
- If you are a native Android developers, click here
Populating an IAP Product Catalog
In order for Personalized Placements to work, you must configure a Product Catalog.
Unity highly recommends a minimum of 3 price points for each Product in your catalog, to maximize the benefits of IAP Promo’s machine learning data model (for example, a $5, $10, and $20 Gem pack). The more data points, the more optimized the model.
Recommended: Watch the IAP Product Catalogs how-to video.
Recommended: Review the IAP Promo best practices guide to assist your implementation strategy.
Implementing Personalized Placements
Converting an existing video Placement
If you already have a live Placement, simply add IAP Promo offers to your rewarded or non-rewarded video Placement. To do so, navigate to the desired Placement’s settings menu, then select Ad types and check IAP. Make sure you associate your Promo campaigns with your active Placements.
Creating a new Personalized Placement
Creating a new Personalized Placement is as simple as selecting multiple Ad types in your Placement settings menu (Video and IAP are the minimum required types). In your game code, remember to insert your new Placement’s Placement ID.
Contacting Unity to enable Personalized Placements
When you’ve verified that the Promo Placement is working properly, contact Unity Support with your Game ID and any Promo Placement IDs and Placement Names you want to personalize. Unity Support will enable Personalized Placements and send you confirmation.